BBC Sherlock Roleplay Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BBC Sherlock Roleplay Forum

Be any character you like. It doesn't matter how many Sherlocks, Johns or Jims we have as we can all have slightly different usernames and RP using different topics. Just remember to name your RP topics so we can distinguish between them. Have fun!

2 posters

Interruptions (John/Sherlock)

Interruptions (John/Sherlock) Empty Interruptions (John/Sherlock)

Post by Guest Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:08 am

John smiles across the candle-lit table at his date. She was a pretty girl he'd met at Tesco's, she'd helped him avoid yet another battle with the chip-and-pin machine and then gone out for a coffee with him. They'd had a lovely time, staying in the small cafe about twice as long as intended (resulting in Sherlock harassing John about his apparent inability to read his watch, and how John had abandoned him to hours of solitary boredom). Right before leaving to take home their various groceries, John had asked the girl for her number and set up a dinner date for the following Friday night-he was thrilled when she said yes.

So now, here he was, happily talking with a beautiful girl named Alice, and all thanks to the evil chip-and-pin machine. Alice was in her mid-twenties, tall (at least compared to John), with long hair the color of coffee, and caramel-colored eyes. She was a real estate agent, and her nose wrinkeled up when she laugh. That was apparently enough to have John besotted with her, [i]which should be embarrassing[/i], he reflected to himself, [i]but then again, it has been awhile since I've gone on any sort of date.[/i]

Just when John thought the evening was going perfectly, his phone chimed with an incoming text. John closes his eyes, he knows the text is from Sherlock- who else would it be from?- and he really, REALLY does not want this night ruined by his obnoxious friend (who at best is bored and has decided that it is John's job to entertain him, at worst is texting to say he has finally managed to burn down the flat).

Alice asks if he is going to check the text, John sighs and pulls out his phone.

[i]Come to Baker Street now, if convenient. -SH[/i]

John gives an annoyed smirk, waiting for the inevitable follow up. It comes in within seconds.

[i]If inconvenient, come anyways. -SH[/i]

John snorts, and types out a reply.

[b]Sherlock, I am on a date, what is it that is so bloody important you needed to interrupt me? No, I am not leaving, I'm not your pet to call home whenever you feel like it. Now please, bugger off.[/b]

After a thought, John types out another message.

[b]Also, may I remind you of the rule- no texting me while at work or on a date unless it's an emergency. Unless you or another person is at immediate risk of dying, you should not be texting me. If this is an emergency, give details, don't just summon me.

[/b]
    ((Ok, so if someone wants to take over Sherlock and text back, please do!!! Also would be happy for someone to write as Alice (or any future girlfriends who may or may not come up in this). I'm not too picky about timeline- probably somewhere between The Great Game and Reichenbach. No other real specifications. I'm hoping for this to be a slower build up to a relationship, not just an automatic jump into sex, though Sherlock is welcome to come up with as many devious plots to drive John insane as his brilliant mind can come up with)).

Last edited by Bluebox on Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Interruptions (John/Sherlock) Empty Re: Interruptions (John/Sherlock)

Post by Guest Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:09 am

((Just out of curiousity: Is there a way to make the text actually italicize and bold, instead of having the programming marks surround it?))

EDIT: ((Done it for you - SH (Admin) You don't need to type in the HTML yourself, just click the 'I' or 'B' button when you're typing your messages))
    The Consulting Detective
    The Consulting Detective

Job : Consulting Detective

Post by The Consulting Detective Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:23 am

((I'd gladly be your Sherlock. Though, I can't reply right now. It's almost midnight and I have a very busy day coming up tomorrow... If you can wait a day, I am gladly yours))

Post by Guest Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:09 am

((Yay!!! Sounds great. By the way, I love the expression on your avatar's face))
    The Consulting Detective
    The Consulting Detective

Post by The Consulting Detective Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:50 am

((I am so sorry for the delay! My past two days were hectic to say the least, but so much fun.))

Sherlock was sitting in his armchair, fingers steepled and touching his lips slightly, his gaze fixed on the skull. He had to think, but couldn't really. He was being distracted by mundane things, like the Mercedes with a laid-in gas engine passing 221B or the noises from Ms Hudson, cooking dinner below, opening the fridge, the clattering of cutlery and dishes. The smell was very disturbing too.

It's always an emergency. And rules? Can't remember any rules. -SH

He needed John to be in the flat right now. He formed the point where all the distraction are bundled, but less annoying than all those little things around him now. John embodied and bundled all of the distractions, but was in a more subtle way quieter and reassuring. He was on an important case and he really needed to think, but couldn't. He got really irritated by this, so he got out of his chair and started pacing around the room, waiting for a reply.

Post by Guest Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:48 am

((Don't worry about it, that's life! Glad it was fun hectic, not bad hectic))

John had just started to try and tell Alice a story when his phone chimed again. He breathes out a swear.

"Is there something wrong?" Alice asks, looking concerned.

"Oh, no. Just my flatmate being an ass."

"Do you not get along?"

"Oh, no!" John denies, shocked that it would come across that way, "It's Sherlock, I told you a bit about him the other day. He's my best friend, he can just be...annoying sometimes."

"The detective?" Alice clarifies, "I didn't realize you lived together. Does he need help on a mystery? Is there something he can't understand and he's asking for advice?"

The idea of Sherlock's reaction to this statement sends John into a fit of laughter. He finally calms down and apologizes, then answers the question.

"No, I doubt this is about a case. He gets bored easily, and likes to complain about it, that's probably all that's going on."

"Ah," Alice says, looking a bit confused.

"I'll just send him a quick reply to try and keep him quiet, he'll be fine."

[b]Look, we're almost through with dinner, just wait. I should be home within a half hour. -JW

Yes, we technically have rules, like keeping all experiments in marked containers. You just choose to delete all the rules, which is why I find our kitchen more dangerous than any cases you've ever taken me on. -JW[/b]
    The Consulting Detective
    The Consulting Detective

Post by The Consulting Detective Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:21 am

Sherlock jumped when he felt his phone buzz and heard it chime. When he read it, he was unsatisfied.

Half an hour? Too long. I'll come to you if you're not coming. And a date could be more dangerous than our kitchen, you know. -SH

He needed him now. His mind was clouded with all silly little things that distracted him enormously. He meant what he had texted. He would go to the restaurant he was in. He really would.

Post by Guest Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:48 am

John ignored the chime of the reply text until he was waiting for the check to be brought out. When he finally read it he panicked a bit. Fifteen minutes had already passed, was Sherlock on his way now?

Don't be silly, John. There's know way Sherlock could know what restaurant you're at, he can't come over. Besides, you're leaving now, it will be fine.

John paid the bill, then held out Alice's coat for her. He wrapped an arm around her as they walked out of the restaurant. When they got to the sidewalk, Alice stops and puts a hand on John's shoulder.

"I had a lovely time with you tonight, John, thank you."

John gives a slightly nervous laugh, "Lovely as in you actually enjoyed yourself, or as in you never want to see me again, but you're too polite to say it?"

Alice leans in close and whispers against John's lips, "What do you think?"

John wraps his arms around Alice's waist and softly kisses her. He pulls back after a moment, a glowing smile on his face.

Alice trails a hand down John's chest and gives a playful smile, "So, could I talk you into coming to my place for a cuppa and we can investigate your theories on the success of this date?"

John wants to say yes (look at that smile she's giving me, oh I really should say yes, or I may mess up my chance with her), but hesitates when he thinks of the text from Sherlock. He wouldn't worry, but he still never got a real answer about why Sherlock wanted him home. He would feel horrible if he went with Alice and Sherlock had actually needed him, but if Sherlock was just bored and John missed this chance...

Alice's smile starts to fade when John doesn't answer.

"John, do you want to come over or not?"
    The Consulting Detective
    The Consulting Detective

Post by The Consulting Detective Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:05 am

"Yes, John. Do you want to come over?" Sherlock spoke audible for the couple. He was leaning to the wall with his left side, mere feet away from them. He had been waiting for John to come out and hoped he would notice him before... before what? Romantic fiddles? Sex didn't alarm him, so that couldn't it be. Actually, Sherlock had been sure John would come home directly after the date, because he told him so. He normally was very loyal, even with dates. Maybe that was because Sherlock always interrupted the date, but that was a logical factor in Sherlock's mind.

Sherlock approached the couple. When he stopped before them, he put up a fake smile and offered Alice his hand to shake. "My name is Sherlock Holmes, his flatmate. Who are you? John hasn't told me about you. I'm sorry about the break-up and I think you should wash your dog more often." He babbled with one breath. Then, he focused on John. "Really, John. A secretary? Of the British Government? I thought you could do better than that."

Post by Guest Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:53 pm

"She works from a MP, say that rather than British Government," John snaps, annoyed at Sherlock invading yet another one of his dates, "You make it sound like she's one of your brother's puppets."

"Sherlock, this is Alice. I haven't told you about her because this is our first date, and you normally complain when I 'pester you with completely irrelevant chatter about my pathetic attempts to succumb to the social expectation of finding a romantic partner with whom to copulate.' I had thought to spare you the annoyance in hopes that you would return the favor by actually letting me have a whole evening to myself."

John turns to Alice, "I'm sorry Alice, you shouldn't be stuck in the middle of this. Can I have a few minutes to talk to Sherlock, and then I might take you up on coming over."

"You sure you shouldn't go with Sherlock?" Alice asks

"His offer to 'come over' doesn't mean nearly the same thing as yours," John jokes, "for all I know, he wants me home so he can test the marks made by different brands of handcuffs...oh that came out sounding poorly. I didn't mean it like that!"

John shakes his head to rid it of thoughts that he does not want to consider, and wonders why a warm tingly feeling has formed in his stomach.

"It's fine," Alice replies, "I got what you meant. Are you sure though? What if it's for a case? If he bothered to come all the way to the restaurant, it seems like Sherlock really needs you."

John looks over at Sherlock, and a small bitter laugh escapes him. He turns back to Alice with a sad smile, "You assume that I actually do something useful while on cases. I'm just the blogger, my only contribution is keeping him from being murdered over his lack of tact and writing up the cases. He's the genius who solves the crimes, he never actually needs me. I'm just someone for him to talk at while thinking."
    The Consulting Detective
    The Consulting Detective

Post by The Consulting Detective Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:32 am

"Everyone who works for the British Government is one of Mycroft's puppets." He snarled back.

He ignored John's remark. He knew it was true, but did not find anything bad in it.

"Oh, do you?" Sherlock joked about the handcuffs. He just wanted to pester him and to annoy Alice. Dates were a waste of time. Especially when you can investigate the bruises different handcuffs make.

Sherlock furrowed his brows and snapped. "You are a lot of help to me, John. Don't do yourself the injustice of thinking that." He didn't elaborate it further, because he didn't want to talk about feelings. So he diverted the conversation in another direction.

"Alice, please tell me. Why has he left you?"

Post by Guest Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:03 am

John stares at Sherlock, confused and surprised.

Alice's shoulders tense up, and she turns to Sherlock with blazing eyes.

"Oh, and what makes you so sure he was the one who left me? You just feel you have the right to make that assumption?! I caught him with another woman, for your information. I left him!"
    The Consulting Detective
    The Consulting Detective

Post by The Consulting Detective Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:19 am

Sherlock rolled with his eyes and took a deep sigh. "That's what I mean with he left you. He first cheated about you, which means he was the first to end something. I am sure, woman. I can see it from your ring. You were not engaged, because there is no gem on the ring. Your ring is damaged. You threw it away not long ago, because the scraped parts still shine. And as you have still a red face and your appearance screams desperate for distraction and processing the fight you had yesterday, according to your slightly husky voice of screaming." He pierced her with his grey eyes.

Post by Guest Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:42 pm

"Sherlock!" John warned sharply.

He gave a resigned sigh, looking at Alice's hurt face, at this point it seemed like his best course of action was to take Sherlock home before he could do anymore damage. It seemed any chances he might have had at continuing the evening with Alice were ruined at this point, she would not want him to come home with her tonight. He only hoped he could salvage things enough to get a second date.

"Sherlock, go get a cab," John ordered harshly, unconsciously slipping into his Captain's voice, "I will join you shortly and return with you back to Baker Street."

His-Doctor
    His-Doctor

Job : Assistant to Sherlock Holmes
    Hobbies : Reading, Blogging.

Post by His-Doctor Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:52 pm

I'll be Alice for you if you like, drop me a pm about how you want her to be and where you want to go.
    The Consulting Detective
    The Consulting Detective

Post by The Consulting Detective Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:22 am

Oah. John used his Captain voice. It was one of the things that stirred him and made him obey. And John had known that. That didn't diminish it's effect though. Sherlock hoped he wouldn't use it too often, because if he did, it would loose its efficiency. Grumbling, Sherlock gave Alice and John a last glance, before hailing a cab. Once it appeared he asked the driver to wait. He waited, standing before the cab, looking at the couple a few feet away. He would wait and didn't care for how long. He just wanted John not to go with that stupid woman. She, like any other woman (except from THE Woman), was obviously an idiot. And John deserved more than that.

Post by Guest Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:47 am

John watches as Sherlock quickly goes to hail a cab- it was always worth it to fall into his army manners just to see Sherlock's reaction, rather like poking him with an electric prod. With a satisfied nod, he turns back to Alice. He steps close to her, tentatively laying a hand on her upper-arm.

"Hey, I'm sorry about all that. I hope my mad flatmate hasn't you off too much."

Alice gives a strained, but none the less genuine smile, "Well, he's not the one I was interested in this whole time. Don't worry John, I really like you, it will take more than this to scare me off. I'm quite willing to try another date with you. How does next Saturday sound? Dinner and a show?"

A huge smile overtakes John's face, equal parts relief and excitement, "I'll mark my calender."

John kisses Alice sweetly, before calling her up a cab.

"You're such a gentleman," she teases, "next thing you know you'll be slaying dragons for me."

John laughs and takes Alice's hand with a playful sparkle in his blue eyes. He kisses Alice's knuckles softly, "If it would please m'lady, then I would gladly slay a dragon and bring her back it's treasure, though I am certain that no jewel would shine as brightly as m'lady's eyes."

John almost makes it through the whole speech with a straight face, but a grin breaks out at the end.

Alice laughs and drops a teasing kiss to John's forehead before climbing into the cab, "Goodnight my valiant knight."

John watches the cab drive off, then turns and walks over to Sherlock, a grin still on his face.
    The Consulting Detective
    The Consulting Detective

Post by The Consulting Detective Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:03 am

((I am so sorry! I forgot all about this that I didn't even notice! I'm so sorry!))

Sherlock was not pleased with what he saw. John being all prince-charming didn't suit him. He was the tough Army Doctor and not a soft douche-bag. He ran through alleys at night, running for his life, shooting bad guys. That was stuff that really mattered, at least Sherlock thought so.

Sherlock had to divert his gaze from them when they started kissing. He could hear the conversation from where he was waiting for John. He growled at the topsy-turvy fairy tail speech. But when John returned, Sherlock managed to keep up a cold, emotionless expression. He glid on the backseat of the taxi and took his phone out of his left pocket to distract himself. When he heard the squeaking of the fake-leather seat and felt John sitting next to him, he scoffed:

"Goodnight my valiant knight, huh."

Post by Guest Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:39 pm

((It's fine, I've had a busy week myself))

John slid into the cab and gave the address for Baker Street. He could tell Sherlock was pouting, though the detective was trying to hide it by focusing on his phone. When his friend commented on Alice's knight comment, John scowled.

"Oh shut up, you shouldn't have even come here, don't go making snide comments about my girlfriend. What was it that was so important you couldn't even wait 20 minutes for me to come home of my own accord?
    The Consulting Detective
    The Consulting Detective

Post by The Consulting Detective Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:35 am

"I do as I please and eh...I... got distracted." Sherlock held his chin up in pride, trying not to show his oh so despised 'sentimental feelings'.

"I am on a very interesting case, but all the outside noises, Mrs Hudson's cooking noises, the clock ticking, you know." He waved his hand in the air. "They made me so mad that I couldn't concentrate on the case." He avoided John's eye.

Post by Guest Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:53 pm

John looked over at Sherlock, wishing (as he had many times) that he possessed Sherlock's talent for expressive eyebrow raising. He really wasn't sure what Sherlock was getting at. He understood that the man's senses were more attuned than most people's, often causing outside stimuli to interfere with Sherlock's thinking process- too much information filtering into the brain, causing it to slow down. However, he didn't understand what he was supposed to do about this.

"Ok, I understand that, but I don't get how that leads to you summoning me home," John tries to keep his voice patient and hide his annoyance, "Is there something you needed me to do to help block out the noises? At the risk of sounding stupid to you, have you tried putting in earplugs?"
    The Consulting Detective
    The Consulting Detective

Post by The Consulting Detective Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:46 pm

"I didn't suspect you to understand." Sherlock let out a deep sigh, but was patient with John. It was of great importance he'd understand thoroughly. Otherwise, John would go out more often, date with boring girls. He spoke quickly.

"The matter is that for a mysterious reason, all the annoying things assemble in you. The strange thing is that I can stand you very well, most of the time. I can even say that I enjoy you being around. Thus, when you are gone, my mind is unbalanced and I am terribly distracted by everything around me. I get frustrated and throw with objects, so please watch out when you step into our living room, the lamp is scattered."

He paused for a very short moment to breathe, then he carried on his 'rant'.

"Why do you date those women anyway? They are terribly boring. You are one great paradox to me. I don't understand." He threw his hands in the air of frustration.

At that moment, they arrived at 221B Baker Street. Before John could answer, Sherlock stepped out of the taxi and took 4 big steps with his long legs to the door, opened it and rushed up the stairs. It was better to be in the living room when they had an argument.

Post by Guest Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:09 am

John stared at the open door of 221B, not quite able to walk in yet, still trying to wrap his head around what he had just heard. Had Sherlock, in his own strange way, just admitted to needing John? No, that couldn't be correct. It wasn't that John thought Sherlock was incapable of feeling things for people and caring for people, more that the man did not allow himself to do so. He thought that Sherlock blocked other people out, using his horrendous manners as a defensive mechanism. John understood that he was most likely the closest person to Sherlock, the man had even admitted that John was his only friend, but...well practically admitting that John being close to him made it easier to think...that seemed to be going too far, it could almost be interpreted as romantic. John shook his head, not sure how he felt about that.

He sighed, and walked up to the flat, surveying the mess Sherlock had made- there was broken glass all over the floor. John carefully walked over to the kitchen to get a broom and dust pan.

"Honestly Sherlock, is it really so hard to throw nonbreakable items when having one of your fits?" John asks, exasperated. He looks up and sees that Sherlock is trying (but not quite succeeding) to hide a nervous and guilty expression. He softens, frustration melting away at the distress his friend is clearly feeling, "It's fine, I'm not mad, just a little frustrated about the loss of a good lamp."

He continues to talk as he sweeps up the glass, "You asked why I date? I'll try to explain it, but I'm not sure if it will make sense to you. I guess the main reason is that I like to have intimacy in my life...oh don't make that face. I don't necessarily mean physical intimacy, though that is certainly a wonderful thing. What I mean is, I like having someone I'm close to, mentally and emotionally. Someone who I care about and like to be around, who then feels the same way about me. Going on a new date is fun and exciting, sort of like what I imagine walking onto a fresh crime scene is like for you. A long term relationship though...that's wonderful in a different way. More like...well for you it would be someone like Moriarty. Someone you've been familiar with and dancing around with for years, you know them almost as well as you know yourself, but it makes it comfortable. However, they can still manage to surprise you, and you still get a...rush of chemicals- dopamine, serotonin, some adrenaline even- to the brain everytime you see them. When you can pull that off with the right person, it's the most incredible thing in the world. I...I haven't had anything even close to that since before Afghanistan, and I miss it. I want...God, how to put this in a way that will actually translate for you. It's different than just friendship, there's more too it. It's a more complex relationship, you get closer to the person, and I want that. I'm not the type of person who can function completely alone. I want the cocktail of chemicals that comes with attraction and intimacy with another person, the feelings of happiness, pleasure, desire, security. I want to feel desired by someone...oh I give up! Does any of this make sense to you?"

Though John didn't say it outloud, he secretly wondered if it even mattered. The lifestyle he currently lived wasn't exactly conducive to long-term relationships, and he wasn't yet willing to consider giving it up for one.
    The Consulting Detective
    The Consulting Detective

Post by The Consulting Detective Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:57 pm

He made a disgusted face when John said 'intimacy'. Was that all men could think about?

He had been silent during the full length of John's speech and he had been analysing every word he said. He spotted that John was sweeping the shards in the dust pan, but every time he 'translated' his explanation in 'Sherlock's language', he had lost control of the dust pan and gravity had made sure the shards lay on the ground again. John, however, had no notion for this, because he was so busy explaining to Sherlock.

Sherlock knelt down opposite John and placed his fingertips against his lips in a thoughtful manner.
    "Yes, actually I do understand what you mean, apart from the last bit." Sherlock frowned. "Don't we have ... with the lack of a better word... bond like that?"

Post by Guest Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:24 am

John's initial instinct was to scream out "No!" in response to Sherlock's question. He wasn't gay, he didn't get warm fuzzy feelings about his best mate. That just wasn't him. There was nothing wrong with it, in his mind, but it didn't apply to him. He'd tried checking out guys in university, just out of curiosity, and his eyes had always wandered back to girls. An unpleasant situation in boot camp with a ranking officer was enough to put John off the idea of experimenting with his sexuality. After Afghanistan, all John could think of in conjunction with two men together was desperate nights in the desert where any type of "identification" that people normally gave themselves was forgotten in the need to confirm that you're still alive.

Still, John swallowed back the denial from the tip of his tongue and thought about what he felt for Sherlock. His insides were flushed through with cold terror when he realized how complex his feelings were for Sherlock, he wasn't sure how to label them or understand them. When had that happened? Christ, he needed to somehow put Sherlock off long enough to figure out what this mess was, see if the term "friendship" no longer covered it all. There was a terrifying thought, particularly given how Sherlock acted towards John's girlfriends. Chances are he would have no interest in being someone's boyfriend.

John thought back to how much Sherlock's reaction had hurt when he first asked him about dating, back during "Study in Pink." He'd felt strangely crushed by how quickly Sherlock had scrambled to say no, even before John had made any sort of indication of interest in Sherlock- he had just been curious about what sort of life his new flatmate led. John wasn't sure if he could deal with being turned down a second time, especially not if he really did want Sherlock to say yes. Better to not even let his mind go there, keep Sherlock strictly in the friend zone.

John realized he's been silently thinking this over for far too long.

"Sorry, got lost in my own head. In answer to your question...no, that's not really what I meant. Sherlock..." John paused, finding this sort of conversation incredibly awkward to have with Sherlock, "you're my best friend, I do care for you and feel close to you...more so than any other person in my life at the moment. However, those feelings aren't romantic, I mean, I have no interest in sharing a bed with you or anything like that. What's even more, you don't seem to want that with anybody, so even if I did feel more for you, it would be irrelevant. You're married to your work, Sherlock, we've already gone through all this."

John sighed and made a quick retreat from the conversation, grabbing a glass and the bottle of scotch Lestrade had given him for Christmas, before heading up to his room.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:37 pm