BBC Sherlock Roleplay Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BBC Sherlock Roleplay Forum

Be any character you like. It doesn't matter how many Sherlocks, Johns or Jims we have as we can all have slightly different usernames and RP using different topics. Just remember to name your RP topics so we can distinguish between them. Have fun!

4 posters

Like to Try

timjohn
    timjohn

Job : Fixing The Past and Building The Future
    Hobbies : Reading, Writing, SciFi, TV, I love science but was never much good at it but getting better all the Time

Like to Try Empty Like to Try

Post by timjohn Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:48 pm

I'm pretty new to Sherlock - but pretty well hooked. Id like to learn to RP, I'm sure everybody had to learn somehow. I am reading Canon and I have been watching some Jeremy Brett lately and I get a bit upset about John being made to look a bit dim. I don't understand why someone who is an Officer in the British Army keeps getting outsmarted especially as he is an MD and must have had loads of medical training? Of course it works out well and they make a great couple but it would be nice to see him being more intuitive.  Anyway if anybody wants to practice RP and I can get involved that would be cool. Tim
    Sherlock.
    Sherlock.

Job : Being me.
    Hobbies : Playing violin, research, annoying John.

Like to Try Empty Re: Like to Try

Post by Sherlock. Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:02 am

I love a bright John and an rp partner who knows a bit of the canon and Jeremy Brett. Yeah, a genius doesn't chill out with someone dim. Soon as time allows me to start a new rp let's have a go with a case hmm?

And welcome to the board XD Have fun here.
    timjohn
    timjohn

Hobbies : Reading, Writing, SciFi, TV, I love science but was never much good at it but getting better all the Time

Post by timjohn Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:29 am

Gee thanks SH - what do I call you? Oh and thanks for the welcome - didn't expect to get an answer to be quite honest. Tried other forums and never got an answer.

Last edited by timjohn on Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot to say TU)
    Sherlock.
    Sherlock.

Post by Sherlock. Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:40 am

You can call me SH or SH-221B I'm quite used to either, Tim. My pleasure, honest, to say hi to you.

And you're right- we all had to learn some time or other how to write rp's. I remember joining here and wondering if anybody would want to bother helping a newbie learn, but a couple of people did and that was over a year ago now.

I think some of our regular members are very busy so it seems quiet here too. Stay with us though and you will get an rp with one of us.
    timjohn
    timjohn

Post by timjohn Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:37 am

OK I just messed up I think and had to remember what I did. Forgive me if I posted twice.
    Still don't know how to address you so don't get offended if I just call you SH. I also don't really know who to play - you seem to know what you are doing perhaps you could advise me. Would you be interested in playing Sherlock, its probably a way too important character for me to play. Of course I have always dreamed of playing The Doctor but again way above my (redheaded {grins}) league. Perhaps I could be some sort of advisory sidekick. I'm really 'over the moon' that somebody of your stature has said something I have written 'is good' {embarrassed} I can't remember anybody giving me any encouragement at all about anything I've written. I usually don't put my ideas to anybody. When I'm waiting for fares I simply enjoy myself by rattling a little bottle of pills and whispering "Which one? Go on, pick one" lol. I had a thought later that in this story 'The Doctor' tells Sherlock he is himself a 'Time Lord' who wanted to opt out and had his memory stored in his pocket watch - that's why he's a genius. The adversaries have discovered this and are after revenge... so there is a bit of a story about how they foil the attempt on his life and how they trace the pocket watch to a 'Cash Generator Shop' but they find out that there were 5 of these watches made for a special commemorative issue for the 'Olympic Games (along the lines of The six Napoleons theme) so they have to deduce where they are all to be found. Also as it happens there really wasn't any mystery at St Barts at all because The Doctor had actually frozen time with his screwdriver just as Sherlock jumped and substituted one of Sherlock's death bodies (from on of his regenerations). Sorry I'm getting a bit carried away - I get lot's of ideas but then my mind goes into overdrive which I suppose is not very good for RP. Yes just an advisory role would do. Off to get another strong coffee and another patch. {buzzes} Tim
    Sherlock.
    Sherlock.

Post by Sherlock. Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:50 am

You can call me SH, that's absolutely fine Very Happy

You're very kind, I just try to write and have fun and anything good is a fluke.

I'll happily play Sherlock for you but it'll have to be after Monday Uk time. I'm away for a bit. I think you will have to play the Doctor. That way we do the rp one-to-one, just the two of us against the rest of the world lol, which is easiest to do first time.

If you could read some rp's of mine you will see how I do it, then it won't all be new and strange for you.

It's good to get revved up with ideas that's part of the fun, getting a buzz off it. It's a good sign that you will stick around and get into this. Yeah, it is very tempting to go off into overdrive when you have lots of ideas that you want to do.

Talk to me about this on Monday in a PM, private message, I'll send you one to reply to.
    GJLestrade
    GJLestrade

Job : DCI with the Met.
    Hobbies : I hate these things, they just prove I don't have a life... Eighties punk, playing the guitar badly, having a pint at the pub. How's that? Oh, yes, being taken to dinner by the British Government occasionally.

Post by GJLestrade Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:25 pm

Oh goody, someone else wanting to learn how to RP. I'm always encouraged when new folks arrive. You'll love it here, Tim. People are very kind, you can ask anything, you'll find someone to answer. We have some great rps going, but SH is right, you should start simple. If you two do start, you know I'd be glad to jump in if you need a Lestrade. We already rp together, do we not, my friend?

It's worrying, hearing about a forum where nobody answered you. Why the hell have a forum if nobody interacts on it? Exactly the opposite of this one, I assure you. Don't be put off by the fact we post as our favourite characters either, a lot of us have more than one account so we fit into rps with the right avatar for the character we're playing. I very much doubt you'd offend anyone here too, you'd have to clout them with a verbal brick or two before that happened.

Your idea for the doctor sounds rather good actually, but don't be shy. You'll be fine and you are very welcome here. However new you are there are at least two people here willing to help you. SH and myself. Doubtless there will be more, cos we're like that. Personally I'm a year older than my favourite character, female, and an rp gamer for the last three decades (pre-computer games, I am proud of the fact I play the ones that require dice and character sheets) but I'm now used to this kind as well. Anything you need help with, send me a message if you want. You'll enjoy it here, promise.
    Sherlock.
    Sherlock.

Post by Sherlock. Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:44 pm

Hi Greg.

Hello again Tim.

Yeah Greg, (GJLestrade) is my go-to Lestrade. We have a nice long running rp going. She does Greg brilliantly and actively with realism and is a very generous roleplaying partner to boot. And friend.

Greg, yeah, when we get this show on the road if it's ok with Tim and you want to come in and do Lestrade for us I think that'd be great. I can see some hilarious comedy happening.

Tim, it's as Greg says, most of us who are active on here have more than one account which has the avatar for the character. Some people like to have one account and a generic avatar but I prefer having an account for each character.

Must nash, have to do some posting in between painting and wallpapering the living room. I'll be back on Monday I hope.
    GJLestrade
    GJLestrade

Job : DCI with the Met.
    Hobbies : I hate these things, they just prove I don't have a life... Eighties punk, playing the guitar badly, having a pint at the pub. How's that? Oh, yes, being taken to dinner by the British Government occasionally.

Post by GJLestrade Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:43 am

Thanks for the complements, you do my ego no end of good. Have a great weekend, btw. Hope the new job is going well for your significant other.

Timjohn, anything you want to ask, suggest or otherwise, you can always pm me as well.
    timjohn
    timjohn

Like to Try Empty Light in The Falls

Post by timjohn Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:09 am

Hi GJ(?)

Nice to meet you! Thanks for your offer of help - I just wrote another 3 pages of my story this morning to develop the first chapter so to speak. The funny thing is I just had you knocking on the door with a new case at the beginning of the second chapter. The rest of the story is not for RP, however, its just that I felt the urge to forge onand it doesn't do any harm to hone the skills I shouldn't imagine. So I feel a bit clairavoyant at the moment. 'Come into my mind palace' said the flyder to the Spy! Yes you are definitelt the next character to join in my solo version and naturally part of any role play that ensues.

Tim (lad) (Timid John) (Time John's Please).

PS Looks like I could be in for a bucket load of help...

On thing I forgot to ask is... I have tried quite a few times to add an avitar - I kept on changing the picture size but nothing happened when I went to load up... ? Still mixed up about it... A bit useless at doing this techy thing I suppose! Tim

Last edited by timjohn on Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot to add question...)
    Sherlock.
    Sherlock.

Post by Sherlock. Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:17 am

I'm still here, just.

Greg do you want to have a look at Timjohn's thread in Storyline section and Yay we can have your GJLestrade in the rp instead of John.

Tim & Greg is the title ok as The Light In the Falls - I think that works on a couple of levels.

Who is going to do the starter post? It looks like I should but yano I don't want to be presumptious. Smile

Pic must be 150 or less pixels wide and 200 or less pixels high and also under 64kb in size.
    Get the pic on your computer ready to upload.

On the forums profile avatar screen, hit Browse. It wants to find your pic from where you have stored it..

Double click on the pic in your folder and it should load. Go back to the profile avatar screen and Press the save button at the bottom of the forum's screen.

If you still have trouble I'll log in with another account and change the avatar see if I missed anything out.

Last edited by SH-221B on Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : extra info added)
    timjohn
    timjohn

Like to Try Empty I tried all the usual

Post by timjohn Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:43 am

Hi SH

Yes I tried all those steps - perhaps its because I designed my own avitar - I took width right dow and then height well below spec and then I got the file size to about 59...

Yea fire ahead and do the starter. Who am I RPing as? Tim
    timjohn
    timjohn

Post by timjohn Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:46 am

Oops didn't see the quick reply text box. Oh well I'll know next time. Tim
    Sherlock.
    Sherlock.

Post by Sherlock. Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:47 am

I always use the quick reply box it's easier. One thing though, best if you write your post in a Word doc and copy and paste it I think, then you can't ever lose it and you have a copy to refer back to for details without needing to scroll through rp pages.

Also Google will sometimes send your -'a post has been made' e-mail into your spam box. I always log on and look for replies to rp's. Just my way of doing things.

You are The Doctor.

I'll try start the rp tonight seeing as I'm still unexpectedly here until about noon tomorrow.

Have you saved your avatar as a jpeg?
    I think you might have to pm Admin - Sherlock Holmes - in blue letters.
    Sherlock Holmes
    Sherlock Holmes
    Admin

Job : Consulting Detective
    Hobbies : Solving crimes, performing experiments, playing violin

Post by Sherlock Holmes Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:34 am

Hey there and welcome to the forum.

If you have any questions about anything at all, feel free to PM me. Don't really have much time to start any new ones at the moment though. Smile
    timjohn
    timjohn

Post by timjohn Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:37 am

Thanks Sherlock. You're so kind, everybody seems to be so helpful on here. I had a bit of a problem with an avatar but it worked out fine. Could you explain about when to use brackets and should I use more than one type? Anyway, thanks for dropping by. Tim
    Sherlock Holmes
    Sherlock Holmes
    Admin

Post by Sherlock Holmes Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:54 pm

Yeah, you can use brackets when you're in the middle of an RP and want to say something out of character, usually at the beginning or end of the actual RP post. An example would be:

Sherlock wasn't concentrating on his experiment and blew up the kitchen.

((Haha, idiot xD))

The first sentence was RP, the second OOC. Obviously that's a crap example but yeah, you get the idea. You don't generally need to use them very often though, unless you specifically want to say something to the person you're RPing with about a plot point or to ask a question.

timjohn
    timjohn

Post by timjohn Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:09 pm

Thanks for the info. I notice you are using double brackets? Tim
    Sherlock Holmes
    Sherlock Holmes
    Admin

Post by Sherlock Holmes Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:24 pm

Yeah, just so you can use single brackets in the RP if you need to, without making it look like you're saying something OOC.
    timjohn
    timjohn

Post by timjohn Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:15 am

Thanks!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:21 am