BBC Sherlock Roleplay Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BBC Sherlock Roleplay Forum

Be any character you like. It doesn't matter how many Sherlocks, Johns or Jims we have as we can all have slightly different usernames and RP using different topics. Just remember to name your RP topics so we can distinguish between them. Have fun!

3 posters

Hello there.

thearchenemy
    thearchenemy

Hello there. Empty Hello there.

Post by thearchenemy Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:16 pm

Hi. I'm fairly new to roleplaying in the Sherlock fandom, as I've only recently completed the series. Does anyone have any tips specific to the fandom?

Also, I have a particular distaste for OOC canon characters.
    Night Baron
    Night Baron

Location : Everywhere looking for a Greg Lestrade who can stand their ground / not immediately cowed by Mycroft 'I am just a minor official' Holmes
    Job : Mystrader & professional mischief-maker
    Hobbies : Thinking various alternative scenarios, exploring possibilities.

Hello there. Empty Re: Hello there.

Post by Night Baron Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:27 pm

Welcome, the archenemy. Sherlock fandom range from the tooth-rotting / pleasant-ville vanilla to the opposite side of the spectrum that play with the less than admirable traits of human being. It is a very diverse bunch, you can form your own conclusions from that.

What is exactly you mean with 'OOC canon characters'? Examples if you have.
    thearchenemy
    thearchenemy

Post by thearchenemy Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:35 pm

I was referring to Mycroft, but Jim works too. Hm, alright then. Looks like I know what part I'm into.

Both in fanfiction and roleplaying, I don't really enjoy seeing the characters OOC. A little bit (like maybe a tad darker) is alright with me, but I don't like seeing Sherlock being the hopeless romantic or Moriarty being nice. I accept that Sherlock is clueless in the subject of love and that Moriarty is a psychopath; it's just how things are and I intend to keep it that way.
    Night Baron
    Night Baron

Location : Everywhere looking for a Greg Lestrade who can stand their ground / not immediately cowed by Mycroft 'I am just a minor official' Holmes

Post by Night Baron Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:50 pm

In that case, you will have to describe exactly how each characters will behave/think/speak that you can stomach in order to let future RP partners know whether they would like to play or not. More detailed the better.
    thearchenemy
    thearchenemy

Post by thearchenemy Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:59 pm

I don't think that's entirely necessary. As long as they tell me how they intend to use the character, I can decide whether that person is a good partner or not.
    Night Baron
    Night Baron

Post by Night Baron Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:09 pm

It is two-way street, thearchenemy. They would want to examine your worth too. How they could do that if you did not provide sufficient information? Most likely they will pass you over for someone else who is willing to come to the open about the whole gamut.
    thearchenemy
    thearchenemy

Post by thearchenemy Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:12 pm

I understand that, but I'm talking about me. I would tell them what my expectations for a roleplay are too, and if we both come to terms, there we go.
    Night Baron
    Night Baron

Post by Night Baron Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:17 pm

Oh? And how would you expect the initial 'courting' to begin, in case you happen to be offline while a potential partner is on? Unless they like what they read in your thread then they will not bother to engage you at all.
    thearchenemy
    thearchenemy

Post by thearchenemy Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:18 pm

Oh, I'm seeing your point now.
    Night Baron
    Night Baron

Post by Night Baron Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:28 pm

I will leave you to think the pros and cons of every option available. I assume that you as a Mycroft player would want to think several steps ahead as well as will have contingency plans for every perceivable turn of event.
    thearchenemy
    thearchenemy

Post by thearchenemy Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:36 pm

Lucky for me, I actually enjoy planning and anticipating details.
    His-Doctor
    His-Doctor

Job : Assistant to Sherlock Holmes
    Hobbies : Reading, Blogging.

Post by His-Doctor Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:05 pm

Hi, welcome to the boards thearchenemy. I get what you mean about having a preference for characters staying in character. Sure there are plots where a character gets a bit bent out of shape and it can start to feel off if Sherlock or Moriarty are too nice. It's also better, to my way of thinking, to see if you can strike up a rapport with a potential RP partner by plotting together in DM's. So, do you have a character that you wish to play as or are you confident of playing any to suit a plot? What sort of plot would you like to tackle? Romance, case-based, gothic castle in the mix, slash, new or existing relationship or ? What do you have in mind? Make us hunger and thirst for what you want to RP!
    thearchenemy
    thearchenemy

Post by thearchenemy Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:53 pm

Thanks, His-Doctor! I do have a character I plan to use, and I made a new topic in the adverts section if you want to check it out. I'm not a huge fan of slash, but I love the cases, crimes, and everything in between, maybe a little romance if the person's lucky. I love making new relationships.
    His-Doctor
    His-Doctor

Job : Assistant to Sherlock Holmes
    Hobbies : Reading, Blogging.

Post by His-Doctor Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:07 am

thearchenemy wrote:Thanks, His-Doctor! I do have a character I plan to use, and I made a new topic in the adverts section if you want to check it out. I'm not a huge fan of slash, but I love the cases, crimes, and everything in between, maybe a little romance if the person's lucky. I love making new relationships.

Great! We can all see what sort of thang you want to do now.
    thearchenemy
    thearchenemy

Post by thearchenemy Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:10 am

Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:58 am