BBC Sherlock Roleplay Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BBC Sherlock Roleplay Forum

Be any character you like. It doesn't matter how many Sherlocks, Johns or Jims we have as we can all have slightly different usernames and RP using different topics. Just remember to name your RP topics so we can distinguish between them. Have fun!

5 posters

Salutations and Sultanas!... wait, what?

miss_saffy
    miss_saffy

Job : Scooting Between Sherlock and a Timey-Wimey Thing...

Salutations and Sultanas!... wait, what? Empty Salutations and Sultanas!... wait, what?

Post by miss_saffy Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:08 am

Firstly, apologies; I'm completely awful at intros, so I apologise if I bodge this up completely! I'm Saffy, in my twenties, and fairly new to the BBC Sherlock world, having managed to watch both series within the space of a couple of weeks. I grew up with the books, but was never all that interested in them (shame on me, I know!. I found this site by doing a bit of google research, done mostly out of curiosity and boredom. (its a bit alarming what comes up when you google "sherlock rp". I was attracted to this site due to the very nice looking layout and the obvious activity here! (Kudos to whoever thought of creating this layout, it's very nicely done!).

In real life, I love writing, (especially short fiction and poetry - nothing published as of yet, though) architecture, travelling, and ancient history. Yes, I'm that one who'd be sitting in the corner engrossed in a novel... I like to think I have a sense of humour, but I'll let you guys be the judges of that!!!

Looking forward to rping with you all, and getting to know you guys! Smile
    Sherlock.
    Sherlock.

Job : Being me.
    Hobbies : Playing violin, research, annoying John.

Salutations and Sultanas!... wait, what? Empty Re: Salutations and Sultanas!... wait, what?

Post by Sherlock. Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:36 pm

Hello there Smile

I hate doing intros too, mine was, frankly, awful. And despite that folks were friendly and have rp-d with me. Yes, we are an active bunch, some more than others only due to time they have not lack of interest.

Best thing about being fairly new to BBCSherlock is you can watch it lots more times and still find something new and an ahah moment.

We've got a lot in common, writing, reading, architecture, travel and maybe ancient history too, I'm interested in prehistory.

Your host and board creator is Sherlock Holmes (name is in blue).

If you need a Sherlock just pm me.

miss_saffy
    miss_saffy

Salutations and Sultanas!... wait, what? Empty Re: Salutations and Sultanas!... wait, what?

Post by miss_saffy Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Hi, and thanks for the warm welcome!!!

Seems like you have a good mix here of active and not-so-active! Better than to be all-inactive!!! I definatley intend on re-watching the series again; I was somewhat impressed with the way the scripts and the scenes were cut, there are some very clever quips in there! But then, I suppose what would one expect from Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson??

What sort of stuff do you like writing and reading? I'm also curious to know what era of prehistory you're interested in Smile

I'll definatley pm you for some plots fairly soon!!!! I'm looking forward to getting into this board Very Happy

p.s. - Can I just say, I love that you put in your "hobbies" bit, "Annoying John..." there was a serious audible gwaffle at that!
    Sherlock.
    Sherlock.

Post by Sherlock. Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:05 pm

Are you watching the British version on DVD? I gather it was edited down to fit American telly time slots and I don't know if those DVD's include the edited out footage.

Yeah, I was impressed with some of the cutting and camera work and I like the humour that runs through it.

My writing and reading likes are Sherlock Holmes and John Watson mainly. I'm a big fan of the canon. A few of ACD's other stories. Other than that I read anything relevant to making an RP realistic which takes up most of my spare time What a Face includes medical, legal and technical topics, as you can guess. I also play the violin.

I'm particularly interested in the British Neolithic, Mortuary practices and Monuments. I keep meaning to do the Addleton Barrow Tragedy case.

Good it gave you a giggle...as well annoying John I'm quite kind to him because I'd be lost without my blogger.

I look forward to a pm from you.

miss_saffy
    miss_saffy

Post by miss_saffy Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:44 pm

I am indeed! I was lucky enough to get series 1 whilst it was on sale, and have watched it back to front, completely enthralled. I haven't a clue whether they added footage, I'm afraid, as I haven't watched the American versions! I was watching behind-the-sceen footage on youtube (which is probably on the dvds as well, I just haven't looked yet Very Happy ), and I was really impressed with how they've shot some of the scenes. The actors have such great chemistry together; seems to really work well for the parts they play!

Bravo on you for taking the time to research in order to make your roleplaying more believable! I know some wouldn't bother, and I always commend those that do, especially with something like Sherlock Holmes! What kind of violin music do you play? I play the piano, though whether I play well is something for others to determine Razz.

I have to confess I know very little about those periods, apart from that the British Neolithic period spawned a host of new ideas in the minds of those who occupied the lands Smile

Being nice to your blogger is always a good thing; after all, you wouldn't want to irk him! Who knows what he'd put on-line about you? Razz

I'll be pming you within the hour; just getting some offline stuff done.
    Sherlock Holmes
    Sherlock Holmes
    Admin

Job : Consulting Detective
    Hobbies : Solving crimes, performing experiments, playing violin

Post by Sherlock Holmes Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:01 am

Hey Saffy!

Nice to meet you too and glad you could join us here on the boards.

Do you have a particular preference when it comes to RPing?
    miss_saffy
    miss_saffy

Post by miss_saffy Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:04 am

Hello, Sherlock Holmes!

Thank-you for the welcome Smile. I'm looking forward to getting into this board and getting to know you guys!! I don't have a preference, and am quite happy to play anyone that needs to be played.
    Sherlock.
    Sherlock.

Post by Sherlock. Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:21 am

miss_saffy wrote:I am indeed! I was lucky enough to get series 1 whilst it was on sale, and have watched it back to front, completely enthralled. I haven't a clue whether they added footage, I'm afraid, as I haven't watched the American versions! I was watching behind-the-sceen footage on youtube (which is probably on the dvds as well, I just haven't looked yet Very Happy ), and I was really impressed with how they've shot some of the scenes. The actors have such great chemistry together; seems to really work well for the parts they play!

Bravo on you for taking the time to research in order to make your roleplaying more believable! I know some wouldn't bother, and I always commend those that do, especially with something like Sherlock Holmes! What kind of violin music do you play? I play the piano, though whether I play well is something for others to determine Razz.

I have to confess I know very little about those periods, apart from that the British Neolithic period spawned a host of new ideas in the minds of those who occupied the lands Smile

Being nice to your blogger is always a good thing; after all, you wouldn't want to irk him! Who knows what he'd put on-line about you? Razz

I'll be pming you within the hour; just getting some offline stuff done.

Thanks for your pm. Ah if you got both the British DVD's you got the lot. The chemistry between the actors is fantastic isn't it. When you get that with an RP-partner it's pure magic too.

Did I say play violin? I meant I scrape happily. Mainly pop songs. I like swing and classic as well.

Hmmph irk your blogger and he'll write you are "Spectacularly ignorant of the Solar System" XD
    miss_saffy
    miss_saffy

Post by miss_saffy Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:06 am

Not a problem Smile I pm'd you back! The chemistry between them all is amazing, especially between Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch! (The ridiculous thing is, I've only just realised that Martin Freeman also played Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit; An Unexpected Journey... I feel a bit silly for not realising it sooner! ) I agree, finding that sort of writing magic in roleplays is fantastic, and I hope to find it here!

Eh, generally speaking, all talent is objective! Smile Oooh, you can play pop stuff and swing? I'm jealous! I play mainly classical and musical!

Yes... I'd heard about that particular incident... and you'll forgive (I hope) the slight snicker of amusement that accompanied it! Razz
    Bilbo
    Bilbo

Job : Expert Treasure Hunter (Burglar)
    Hobbies : Reading, walking, eating and entertaining INVITED guests

Post by Bilbo Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:39 am

miss_saffy wrote:Not a problem Smile I pm'd you back! The chemistry between them all is amazing, especially between Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch! (The ridiculous thing is, I've only just realised that Martin Freeman also played Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit; An Unexpected Journey... I feel a bit silly for not realising it sooner! ) I agree, finding that sort of writing magic in roleplays is fantastic, and I hope to find it here!

Eh, generally speaking, all talent is objective! Smile Oooh, you can play pop stuff and swing? I'm jealous! I play mainly classical and musical!

Yes... I'd heard about that particular incident... and you'll forgive (I hope) the slight snicker of amusement that accompanied it! Razz

I'll look for your pm in my SH-221B account.

Sure you will find people here you gel with.

I'm jealous now as I'd love to play classical. I can just about manage one small piece, Pachelbel's Canon badly. We had a piano at home when I was a kid.

*coughs* Funny you mentioned the Hobbit. This is another account of mine Smile
    Dr. John H. Watson
    Dr. John H. Watson

Job : Army Doctor, formerly of the Fifth Northumberland Fusiliers
    Hobbies : If you count wishing I was back in Afghanistan every second of my life as a hobby, then all right.

Post by Dr. John H. Watson Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:50 am

Hello and welcome to the forum! I'm here to keep all the Sherlock's in line... Razz No, really. I'm glad to meet you and look forward to roleplaying with you whenever you feel like! I'm a Sherlock obsessive. Really, it's insane. So, if you have any questions as well, feel free to ask. Don't worry, I will NOT spoil anything you haven't seen for you. I HATE spoilers myself, so I won't spoil things for others.

miss_saffy wrote:Yes... I'd heard about that particular incident... and you'll forgive (I hope) the slight snicker of amusement that accompanied it! Razz

Incident? What incident? tongue

Oh, you mean the one where you basically told me my opinions weren't important although you seemed to have quite a few of your own? Rolling Eyes And I don't mean YOU, miss_saffy. I mean Mr. Sociopath over there.

miss_saffy
    miss_saffy

Post by miss_saffy Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:54 am

SH - Awesome-possums

I'm sure I will, it seems a rather friendly and enthusiastic place thus far!

Aww!!! I must add in there that I don't play particularly well; I'm self-taught, and my left hand is very slabber-dash. I had a keyboard-piano from 18 onwards, but I'm jealous you had a piano at home!

Haha!!!! Oddly, I've never liked Bilbo Baggins's character all that much, nor Frodo's, for that matter... (least, not the book's version!)

Dr. John H. Watson!:

Well, sometimes they need to be kept in line! Razz Who better to do it than their faithful pet- I mean, um... friend... *innocent smile*. I will definately pm you for a thread!! I've seen both series, so unless there is something about the supposed series 3 that you know that I don't, I think we're good Very Happy And incident.... hmm... which should I start with? Razz And I know who you meant, Dr John! Don't worry, boyfriends - I mean, um... employers... er... I mean... *hoists foot out of mouth* Ehem. Where were we. *blinks innocently* And please, feel free to call me Saffy!
    Dr. John H. Watson
    Dr. John H. Watson

Hobbies : If you count wishing I was back in Afghanistan every second of my life as a hobby, then all right.

Post by Dr. John H. Watson Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:14 am

Trust me, I know NOTHING other than that production has been delayed. I have been narrowly avoiding any info on it. I don't WANT to know ANYTHING, otherwise I feel it will ruin it for me. That's why I have to put of re-reading the second volume of Sherlock Holmes I just got for Christmas... Crying or Very sad

Ermm... You were talking about The Hobbit, in which case, I have to jump in. Yeah. After I'd found out Martin Freeman was going to play Bilbo, I wasn't just over the moon. I was over the entire galaxy. And then I started re-reading the book and finding amusement at the fact that his character is constantly described as fat. Because Martin Freeman ISN'T AT ALL. I'm just like Suspect . Yeah, I ADORE him as Bilbo. I really do. I adore him anyway, but that's besides the point. He just really IS Bilbo and he plays it so well. Can't wait for the next Hobbit!!! And did you know a certain person is voicing Smaug as well as playing? voicing? (I dunnow...) The Necromancer when he shows up??? Wink
    miss_saffy
    miss_saffy

Post by miss_saffy Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:18 am

Me too!! (As to the avoiding information, I mean! I didn't know it had been delayed though! Sad ) I don't want to know anything, either! Usually I'm fine with spoilers, it makes for more fodder for my brain, but for Sherlock, I'm not sure I want fodder; not in the spoiler sense, at least!!!

I had no idea he was going to play Bilbo... like I said, I've only recently realised he DID play him! I don't know why it didn't click before! *idiot* I think the writers of the film took a bit of liberty with Bilbo's character, which is fine, as, like you said, Freeman plays him so damn well!!! And omfgoodnes!!!! I had no idea until you just said, and I looked it up! OMG! Haha! I can't wait to see how they do this! Very Happy Very Happy
    Dr. John H. Watson
    Dr. John H. Watson

Post by Dr. John H. Watson Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:49 am

Yup. Razz Me neither. There's a point in the book where Bilbo is pretending to compliment Smaug, which if they do it in the movie, in my head I'll be going "Oh, I'm Sherlock Holmes and I always work alone because no one else can compete with my MASSIVE INTELLECT!" And dying. Seriously, I'm gonna fricking die during the second Hobbit. I did a good job of only minimally dying during the first.
    miss_saffy
    miss_saffy

Post by miss_saffy Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:59 am

OMG! Now you've said that, I'll be doing the same! :O LOL!!!! Although, admittedly Benedict's voice might reduce me to a puddle...

(Randomly, one of my favourite lines in the first series:

SH: That's not what people usually say...
    JW: What do people usually say?
    SH: p** off...)

Also, I frickin love that bit where John is ranting that you quoted!!! Razz
    Dr. John H. Watson
    Dr. John H. Watson

Post by Dr. John H. Watson Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:15 am

Laughing I have EVERY script down pat. NO. LIE. High five for dying and doing the thing in our heads! YAY!!! We should message each other when we go to see it. So that way we can be in sync even though we're worlds away... And yeah. Benedict's voice is A. Ma. Zing. Might reduce me to the smallest droplet of rain there's ever been. Or would that be what Sherlock's voice does??? Hm...
    Dr. John H. Watson
    Dr. John H. Watson

Post by Dr. John H. Watson Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:22 am

OH MY TOLKIEN, I JUST DIED!!! You and I were just talking about the Hobbit and JUST NOW I got an update on HEX. "The owl THORIN OAKENSHIELD drops by and gives you a letter." Laughing
    Sherlock.
    Sherlock.

Post by Sherlock. Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:24 am

I think Smaug would be as charmed by a spot of flattery and compliments on his intellect as Sherlock or canon Holmes too.

I'll happily play a Sherlocky Smaug with a deep dark baritone Belgian chocolate chuckle AU based on / around the book if anyone fancies that. OOh, I've had an idea for it.
    Dr. John H. Watson
    Dr. John H. Watson

Post by Dr. John H. Watson Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:48 am

SH-221B wrote:I think Smaug would be as charmed by a spot of flattery and compliments on his intellect as Sherlock or canon Holmes too.

I'll happily play a Sherlocky Smaug with a deep dark baritone Belgian chocolate chuckle AU based on / around the book if anyone fancies that. OOh, I've had an idea for it.

Hmm... Maaaaybe... Wink
    miss_saffy
    miss_saffy

Post by miss_saffy Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:05 am

Blimey! Every script???? I know little quotes here and there, but I'm sure I'll get there eventually!! *high fives back!!!* And omg that'd be awesome!!!! Very Happy. For me, it's definatley Benedict's voice... they certainly chose the right actor for Sherlock, that's all I'm saying Razz I'm a tad confused over the Hex thing? LOL! Maybe my brain is just being a bit slow!!

I think you might be right there, SH! And just for the record, I love the "dark baritone Belgian chocolate chuckle" description right there!!!! I'd definatley be up for that plotline (the Sherlocky Smaug one, not the baritone-belgian-chocolaty one... though I guess they're the same! Razz )
    Sherlock.
    Sherlock.

Post by Sherlock. Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:24 am

miss_saffy wrote:
    I think you might be right there, SH! And just for the record, I love the "dark baritone Belgian chocolate chuckle" description right there!!!! I'd definatley be up for that plotline (the Sherlocky Smaug one, not the baritone-belgian-chocolaty one... though I guess they're the same! Razz )

Oh good. Can we work on our Victorian rp idea first by pm and then see what germinates with this second Sherlocky Smaug one?
    I'm not bad with the scripts from memory I can use scenes and bits of text lifted straight out but I like doing my own deductions as well.
    Dr John Watson - suggest me an idea for an RP in a pm if you like.
    miss_saffy
    miss_saffy

Post by miss_saffy Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:31 am

That sounds like a good and solid plan, SH Smile We'll do that, then we won't get overtly distracted or torn from the idea!!!
    I'm sure in time I'll learn the scripts too, but I agree, I like making "organic" reactions as well!!
    Dr. John H. Watson
    Dr. John H. Watson

Post by Dr. John H. Watson Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:27 am

And I also took notes.... On EVERY episode.... Cause I'm that much of a nerd.... What a Face
    miss_saffy
    miss_saffy

Post by miss_saffy Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:32 am

That's not being a nerd, that's being thorough! Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:38 pm