BBC Sherlock Roleplay Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BBC Sherlock Roleplay Forum

Be any character you like. It doesn't matter how many Sherlocks, Johns or Jims we have as we can all have slightly different usernames and RP using different topics. Just remember to name your RP topics so we can distinguish between them. Have fun!

4 posters

Mind palace - a concept of mnemonic

Night Baron
    Night Baron

Location : Everywhere looking for a Greg Lestrade who can stand their ground / not immediately cowed by Mycroft 'I am just a minor official' Holmes
    Job : Mystrader & professional mischief-maker
    Hobbies : Thinking various alternative scenarios, exploring possibilities.

Mind palace - a concept of mnemonic Empty Mind palace - a concept of mnemonic

Post by Night Baron Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:48 am

I notice that there are quite a number advert for 'mind palace'. Anyone care to explain what make that particular topic interesting to explore? Very Happy
    The Corpsemaker
    The Corpsemaker

Location : Somewhere on the North side of an unregarded blue-green planet
    Hobbies : writing, reading, imagining, shooting policemen

Mind palace - a concept of mnemonic Empty Re: Mind palace - a concept of mnemonic

Post by The Corpsemaker Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:18 am

For me, the mind palace is a fascinating concept which illustrates Sherlock's way of thinking in a special way. It is also a way to explore imagination and Sherlock's own machine of thoughts in rps.
    Night Baron
    Night Baron

Location : Everywhere looking for a Greg Lestrade who can stand their ground / not immediately cowed by Mycroft 'I am just a minor official' Holmes

Mind palace - a concept of mnemonic Empty Re: Mind palace - a concept of mnemonic

Post by Night Baron Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:37 am

The Corpsemaker wrote:For me, the mind palace is a fascinating concept which illustrates Sherlock's way of thinking in a special way. It is also a way to explore imagination and Sherlock's own machine of thoughts in rps.  

To explore the canon version or as possibility to shape it according to your own design, as deemed necessary? Smile
    The Corpsemaker
    The Corpsemaker

Post by The Corpsemaker Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:04 am

Both are interesting, I think.
    Night Baron
    Night Baron

Post by Night Baron Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:41 am

The Corpsemaker wrote:For me, the mind palace is a fascinating concept which illustrates Sherlock's way of thinking in a special way. It is also a way to explore imagination and Sherlock's own machine of thoughts in rps.  

Considering that this is Sherlock's mind palace, every action from characters that might appear there would be in line with his thinking. How you expect to do it if it involves other role-player(s)?
    The Corpsemaker
    The Corpsemaker

Post by The Corpsemaker Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:27 am

Sherlock's talent for deduction will make him able to recreate the characters of his life as close to the truth as possible. His own mind will help Sherlock by providing the right characater (with the right personality) at the right time. Watson, Molly, Mycroft, Moriarty, they can all be useful in some way to help Sherlock find solutions to his own problems. And they can also represent Sherlock's repressed fears, shames or complexes (Moriarty, for the fear, Mycroft for complex, etc.).
    Each "mentally recreated" character might have different roles to play in Sherlock's subconscious, to help him or to dig out deeply hidden ideas.
    Night Baron
    Night Baron

Post by Night Baron Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:51 am

The Corpsemaker wrote:Sherlock's talent for deduction will make him able to recreate the characters of his life as close to the truth as possible. His own mind will help Sherlock by providing the right characater (with the right personality) at the right time. Watson, Molly, Mycroft, Moriarty, they can all be useful in some way to help Sherlock find solutions to his own problems. And they can also represent Sherlock's repressed fears, shames or complexes (Moriarty, for the fear, Mycroft for complex, etc.).
    Each "mentally recreated" character might have different roles to play in Sherlock's subconscious, to help him or to dig out deeply hidden ideas.

Which truth, Sherlock's or the real one? Wink Because in the canon series, Sherlock appear to be not so capable to understand people's motivation (no wonder some fans labelled him with Asperger).

How, in regards of other role-players who decide to take part in your scenario, would you reconcile between Sherlock's ideas about other characters and the possibility of differences in other players' view (and thus very possibly will influence how they play their chosen charas)?
    His-Doctor
    His-Doctor

Job : Assistant to Sherlock Holmes
    Hobbies : Reading, Blogging.

Post by His-Doctor Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:03 am

Re how it might possibly influence players charas I'd tend to play John as I understand him to be but with achieving the the goal of the rp in mind. As far as I've seen John acts a moral and social compass, he contributes a lot to the ways in which Sherlock expresses himself, often to John using words and phrases of John's which Sherlock has salted away in his Mind Palace. 'Amazing, fantastic' in Study in Pink by John is used in Hounds of Baskerville by Sherlock and in Hounds 'putting your collar so you look cool used in The Empty Hearse as 'you forgot to put your collar up'. Though John tends to not appear in his Mind Palace as an image as Sherlock, hearing him speaking, comes out of his thoughts -aka Mind Palace- to reply to John (in court room/221B scene).
    Night Baron
    Night Baron

Post by Night Baron Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:20 am

His-Doctor wrote:Re how it might possibly influence players charas I'd tend to play John as I understand him to be but with achieving the the goal of the rp in mind. As far as I've seen John acts a moral and social compass, he contributes a lot to the ways in which Sherlock expresses himself, often to John using words and phrases of John's which Sherlock has salted away in his Mind Palace. 'Amazing, fantastic' in Study in Pink by John is used in Hounds of Baskerville by Sherlock and in Hounds 'putting your collar so you look cool used in The Empty Hearse as 'you forgot to put your collar up'. Though John tends to not appear in his Mind Palace as an image as Sherlock, hearing him speaking, comes out of his thoughts -aka Mind Palace- to reply to John (in court room/221B scene).

Welcome, His-Doctor. That is an interesting point of view. Would you join the game and bring that breath of fresh air here? ^^
    The Corpsemaker
    The Corpsemaker

Post by The Corpsemaker Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:24 am

I share your point of view, His-Doctor.
    His-Doctor
    His-Doctor

Job : Assistant to Sherlock Holmes
    Hobbies : Reading, Blogging.

Post by His-Doctor Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:55 pm

@Night Baron Hi, I'll be away once or twice for a few days with no internet before Christmas but I could write myself out for those periods and you could carry on without me?
    WinningBlue

Post by WinningBlue Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:28 am

I thought the mind palace was a memory technique. It is also called The Method of Loki. It converts the brain's spatial understanding into memory. I have started using it regularly and I have to say it really works. It takes a while and a lot of effort to organize, but, for me it is worth it. Sherlock does a really good explanation of this method and shows Sherlock's mind palace (or attic) in action really well. I love how the show not only has an exceptional story and plot, but it also is full of real facts that anyone can use.
    WinningBlue

Post by WinningBlue Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:28 am

I thought the mind palace was a memory technique. It is also called The Method of Loki. It converts the brain's spatial understanding into memory. I have started using it regularly and I have to say it really works. It takes a while and a lot of effort to organize, but, for me it is worth it. Sherlock does a really good explanation of this method and shows Sherlock's mind palace (or attic) in action really well. I love how the show not only has an exceptional story and plot, but it also is full of real facts that anyone can use.
    WinningBlue

Post by WinningBlue Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:29 am

Sorry, typed it twice.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 8:42 am